Monday, April 25, 2011

Charging Fort Wagner


I was flipping through the channels tonight not really paying attention to what was going across my TV screen until my flipping fell upon "Glory". It's a moving story and a stirring movie (Denzel won his first Oscar thanks to this movie) about the all Black 54th regiment that fought in the Civil War. I remembered walking out on rubbery legs because I was so touched. I couldn't find a flaw with the movie and that included the music.

James Horner composed the score and it was absolutely beautiful and it would have been fine without any vocals. I don't know who came up with the genius move to have The Boys Choir of Harlem supply the vocals. Founded in 1968 by Walter Turnbull the choir received international fame and toured the globe. The choir was eventually disbanded and shut down in 2007 amid lack of funding, lawsuits, and the death of its founder Dr. Turnbull. Luckily though for us the listener they blessed the world with their amazing gifts and sounds and they brought their gifts and their famous sound to the movie Glory and this amazing track.

Those that know me know I love beautiful music and this track is absolutely beautiful. It's at the end of the movie when the 54th is charging on Fort Wagner (if you've never seen then there is something wrong with you). All I can ask is that you listen, let the music and the soaring voices wash over you. If you do that then you better for it, I promise. Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment