Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Ugly Part of Me


If you are looking for some cool out music, something mellow and inspires you to light a few candles then check this out. The song is called Ugly Part of Me brought to you by the smooth voiced Avery Sunshine. Off of her self titled debut album, Avery sings a smooth song explaining how that ugly side of her reared its ugly head and caused her to "trip out" on her man. This is an apology and it's a damn smooth one.

Her entire album harkens back to the early days of Floetry and early Jill Scott, I think she is cut from a similar cloth as those exceptional artists both vocally and lyrically. This song however stands out as far as I'm concerned from all the rest because of it's beauty and significance. For a Black woman to admit that she has that ugly side feeds into that stereotype of the "angry Black woman". She sings lines like I don't know about you but I got an ugly side and Sometimes, sometimes there's just some things I can not have which are very powerful. To me this song is both heavy and beautiful and I can't stop listening to it.

Check this tune out and see if you don't feel the same way I do about it. Maybe you won't be able to stop listening to it either. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment