Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Fire & Earth

It's the last post of the year and I felt this blog should bow out of 2014 with an X-Clan bang. The song is Fire & Earth and with the way this year has gone, to me this song is appropriate. X-Clan was a pro Black hip hop group from the early 90's, back when hip hop said something. back when it had a positive message mixed in amongst the music about women, money, and jewelry. I was a zealous X-Clan fan and thought Brother J was one of the most underrated rappers in the history of the genre.

Fire & Earth is off of their 1992 second studio release entitled Xodus - The New Testament and the song contains subtle digs aimed at the white rap group 3rd Base and the teacher himself, KRS-One. I love this song for its message of course. I also loved the mid tempo beat which allowed Brother J to flow smoothly over as he dropped knowledge.

It was during this time when I identified heavily with the Black nationalist movement and supported the call for divestment in South Africa. X-Clan albums were my soundtracks back then and their music will always have a special place in my heart. And if you like this song then definitely check out their cut Heed The Word of the Brother. Enjoy and again Happy New Year.





No comments:

Post a Comment