Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Y.O.U.


Okay, if I were the kind of guy to stand at the alter and wait for my bride to meet me there I would pitch in and try to make that day as lovely as possible. I would put in my two cents when asked on this and on that just to help out. I would offer suggestions regarding the color scheme, invitations, food, wine, and cake. I would be the dutiful fiance and do what I could to make that day as sweet as possible for us as I possibly could, demanding nothing. Nothing that is except the first song we dance to as a couple at our reception.

Years ago Kenny Lattimore had the reception circuit all to himself with his beautiful ballad "For You" but the new song for that special moment has to be Avant's "Y.O.U." From the melody to the loving lyrics, "Y.O.U." is a special song and possibly Avant's best (which isn't say much actually). He's been known to be the poor man's R. Kelly and he's played that role exceptionally well throughout his career. Throwaway songs from Avant's last CD "Director" like "4 minutes" and "With You" sounded like Kelly's rejects but Avant rebounded with his follow-up.

Titled simply "Avant", the singer did what he could to step out of the r&b crooner comfort zone and he made a bold statement. He did a remake of Christopher Cross' classic "Sailing" and it was a fine attempt. It was certainly something Kelly or Usher would not have done. Then there's the pretty "When It Hurts" where he sings about love standing the test of time. The jewel of "Avant" though is "Y.O.U.".

If this song isn't the kind of song you can see a newly married couple dancing to then something is wrong. Try and picture it? It's the grooms pick to dedicate to his wife, they move in close, his hand on her back as he leans in and sings softly in her ear lyrics like "Y, yearn for/O, overtaken by/U, understand that I'm talking bout YOU". If she wasn't putty before that moment you might want to make sure there was a chair close by because she'd need it after that.

I fell in love with this song the first time I heard it and like I said, if I were the type to wait at the alter for someone, trust me that later on that evening we'd be dancing to this song (and I'd make sure there was a chair within reach).






No comments:

Post a Comment