Thursday, December 16, 2010

Just To Keep You Satisfied

Being that I mentioned this incredibly talented and gifted man in a previous post I thought it was far time to bring him to my blog. I chose to go with none of his more popular songs though and go with one of his more personal ones. It's without a doubt one of my favorite songs by Marvin and it's a song most may have never heard from him. The song is “Just To Keep You Satisfied” by Marvin Gaye singing about his very public separation and eventual divorce from his wife Anna Gordy, Berry Gordy's daughter. This song didn’t get much airplay and was only heard if you bought his brilliant LP “Let’s Get It On”. This beautiful, sorrowful, and mournful song never really got the chance to shine

This version isn’t the original since the original version was initially co-written by Anna. Marvin decided to redo the song and he went back into the studio. This version is what was born out of those sessions. You can hear the lament and heartbreak in his voice and in the lyrics and when he screams “I never loved nobody like I loved you baby” you believe him and can imagine the hurt he was going through. I can relate to him and this song, I understand just where he was coming from thanks to my own personal life. When I came across this song it stopped me in my tracks and I couldn’t stop listening to it. We may not all have gone through a divorce but we’ve all been there when something falls apart around you and all the love you have for someone can’t keep you together.

When Marvin croons “Oh darling / how could we / end up like this/oh baby let me / reminisce” it’s a feeling we all know well and Marvin captures that pain perfectly on this song. He continues to sing “Leave you / I never meant too / Now you see / how much you hurt me but / if you ever need me/ I’ll be by your side” and damn if I can’t relate to that. Take a listen and let me know if you can relate too.




No comments:

Post a Comment