Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My Latest, My Greatest Inspiration

This was not supposed to be here. I had something else in mind to hit you my readers and followers with, something so recognizable and searingly funky that you wouldn't be able to keep from smiling but then this song came up on my ipod. One of the most amazing songs in terms of love and devotion from a man to a woman that it became THE song that newly married couples would dance to for the first time as Mr. and Mrs. The song is by the amazing Teddy Pendergrass and the song is "My Latest, My Greatest Inspiration". This song still gives me chills when I hear it and it has nothing to do with the sentiment although it's what every man should feel for his woman and vice versa actually. No, what gets me is the fact that this song musically is just so damn pretty.

Teddy has sung some serious heartfelt lyrics in his day and this song belongs alongside all of those other classics (too many to list here but you know them, don't you?). This one though has lyrics that will make Teddy immortal. He comes in with "I've been so many places / Seen so many faces / but none quite as lovely as you...More beautiful than the Mona Lisa / worth more than gold / and my eyes have the pleasure to behold" and shockingly the second verse is better than that. He goes on the tell this amazing woman how much she keeps on lifting him up and inspires him to be the man she knows he can be and in the background there are those strings that came in with the second verse and just gives this song true depth. At the bridge Teddy sings "I plan to give you all that I have / I'll be everything, everything you think I am / You make life a joy to live /yes I'm blessed, yes I'm thankful just to know you" as the strings swell.

It's easy to see why this song was and is THE first dance song for newlyweds. It embodies everything they feel for each other at that moment in time. The trick is trying to keep that magic from fading. I would suggest listening to this song together when things get difficult and trying. Teddy WILL bring you back to that moment and more importanly back to each other. How could he not with this song? Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment