Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Purple Haze

There's some debate amongst my friends as to which is the better Jimi Hendrix song. Some say "All Along the Watchtower" and others say "Hey Joe" and some feel "Voodoo Child" was Jimi at his best. I personally feel there is no better Hendrix rocker better than "Purple Haze". This song doesn't just rock, it burns. This song resonates deeply because of Jimi's sharp playing and the most unforgettable lyric of "scuse me while I kiss the sky".

I'm not say those other songs aren't hot or worthy of great respect but "Purple" stands out to me. Everyone has their favorite Jimi burner, this one just happens to be mine. It's so raw and unforgiving, kicking ass and taking names. It starts off with what could be a pulse and then the drums comes in under that unforgettable guitar riff. Then that unmistakable voice comes in with "Purple haze all in my brain/lately things just don't seem the same/acting funny and I don't know why/scuse me while I kiss the sky". Then Jimi just goes right into the next verse. There's no chorus, there's no hook, no tricks, no bells and whistles, it's just Jimi. Doing his thing over some serious guitar licks. This song itself is a musical lsd trip and you have to love that.


I often imagine what Jimi would be playing today had he not died so young. Can you imagine where Jimi would be musically today? The thought sends chills down my spine because I know whatever came from Jimi were he alive today would blow everyone away. That man would be on some next shit for real. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment