Friday, July 1, 2011

Love's In Need of Love Today


And now for something completely different. This song is a bonafide classic and the sentiment is simply beautiful. Given to us to enjoy by the maestro Stevie Wonder, this song is timeless and for someone to disagree with that just doesn't know music, that's right I said it! The song is the beautiful Love's In Need of Love Today. I was raised on this song (my mom played the hell out of this song) and I thought it was time to bring Stevie to my blog. Now really I could have picked ANY song from his seminal masterpiece Songs In The Key of Life but it's this song that makes me just feel damn good.

It starts off as a public service announcement as Stevie addresses each and everyone of us that love is in trouble. After the harmonizing vocals he sings "Good morn or evening friends/Here's your friendly announcer/I have serious news to pass on to everybody" and he goes on to tell us that his words could mean the end of the world. He explains that we've basically taken loving one another for granted and that there's more hate in the world today because of that which pretty much makes this song timeless in my opinion. Think about it, very soon there will be another Presidential election and if you thought the divisiveness and discord was bad the last time around, just you wait.

My favorite part of this song is towards the end when Stevie, our "friendly announcer" asks the song to be brought down a level because love is very peaceful. The song goes out as it comes in, harmonious and easy. It is, quite simply music at it's very best. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment