Friday, July 1, 2011

If It Isn't Love


It's time to get cheesy. High time in fact and the cheese starts with this wonderful blast from my past. Starring the five of the most or should I say four of the most talentless brothers to ever grace a stage (Johnny Gill could actually sing). The group is New Edition and the song is If It Isn't Love. For me this is a fun song and I could use as much of that right now as I can get my hands on. I fired up the old ipod and turned on the trusted playlist and when this song hit my ears, I smiled.

Produced by the legendary hit makers Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis Love is a great song with a great sound. It turned out to be one of New Edition's biggest hits and a tentpole song on their 1988 album Heartbreak, the other smash hit off that album being Can You Stand The Rain. This grooving song powered Heartbreak to become a commercial success and it inspired four kids from Philadelphia to realize their dreams. They went on to form a group and named themselves after one of the songs off this album, Boys II Men.

Like I said this song makes me smile and I guess that's because it just oozes cheese. Or maybe it's because Ronny, Ricky, Mike, and Ralph basically showed me that yes even without any real singing abilities, success was possible (again Johnny Gill who replaced Bobby Brown could actually sing). Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment