Monday, December 12, 2011

Brandenburg Concerto No. 3-III Allegro


Without question one of my all time favorite classical pieces of music is this, the Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 in G Major: Allegro. It's pretty, lyrical, very rhythmic, and full of breathless energy. It's one of a few Bach pieces that pulled me in and made me an unapologetic fan of this composer (hear Toccata and Fugue for a few of the other pieces).

This piece is also rife with drama and darkness which is almost immediately offset with playfulness and light. It starts off like an avalanche coming at you (albeit a playful one)and it never slows down. It never gives you a chance to catch your breathe and I liken it to someone rushing to catch a plane home for Christmas or the last train. Running through a crowded depot or airport with nothing but obstacle after obstacle in his or her way. Spinning, jumping, whizzing past someone all the while apologizing and saying "Excuse me".

This is a fun classical piece of music and one hard not to like. Bach isn't my favorite composer by any stretch of the imagination (see Vivaldi, Mozart, and DeBussy first) but this piece, which always puts a smile on my face when I hear it and others by him definitely lands him in my top five. I hope you enjoy this as much as I do and Happy Holidays.


No comments:

Post a Comment