Thursday, July 12, 2012

You'll Never Find

Was there anyone better? Honestly, was there anyone better than Lou Rawls? Seriously. I defy you to find me ANYONE better than this smooth voiced vocalist. I know, I know not everyone is a fan of this man (though I don't see how that could be) but you KNOW this song and that much I DO know. You'll Never Find is a classic that has been covered and spoofed by damn near everyone. Now I have to admit I offered Lou resistance when I was younger (I didn't know better). I was raised on Lou so he was around all the damn time. I once asked why don't we put a plate of food out for Lou since he's always here, Mom wasn't too happy with her smart mouthed son but I survived...only to get more Lou in my life. Thank you mama!

Off of his 1976 album All Things In Time, You'll Never Find was Lou Rawls breakthrough hit going all the way to number one on Billboards R&B charts. The song comes in with that cha-cha feel and you immediately feel like dancing then Lou hits you upside the head. Talking to a woman, he tells her that he's the one who loves you/and there's NO ONE ELSE!  which is pretty ballsy. The thing I love about this classic is how it goes from cha-cha to disco for the chorus and then right back to cha-cha (and those strings in the background...the perfect ingredient).

Lou was a cut above the rest and while he may be gone, I can't help but be happy that he left us gem to remember him by. Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. THAT sent me to bed with the biggest smile I've had today. As always...thanks for the wonderful post. BTW...you? Smart mouthed? Naaaa...can't picture it at ALL! Hehehe

    ReplyDelete