Sunday, July 15, 2012

Alice's Restaurant Massacree

If you know nothing about anti-war songs or you do but never laughed at one then allow me to introduce you to this one. It's the classic anti-war song entitled Alice's Restaurant Massacree by Arlo Guthrie. Now when the song starts off you have NO idea where this tune is going which is partly what makes this song hilarious. Now Arlo claimed this song was actually an anti-stupidity song rather that being an anti-war song but make no mistake, this eighteen minute plus song is an anti-war song and it's the best I have ever heard.

Alice's Restaurant Massacree is off of Arlo Guthrie's 1967 album Alice's Restaurant and with it being eighteen minutes long, you can imagine it took up one whole side of the album. When I first heard this song I never laughed so hard at something musical before in my life. The song was introduced to me by some stoners I had met at a friends college (they also introduced me to The Doors and I introduced them to Parliament Funkadelic, fair trade I feel).

Now before you ask, yes there was an Alice, Roy, and an officer Obie up in Massachusetts. And yes, an 18 year old Arlo along with a friend of his actually did get arrested for littering which makes this song even funnier in my opinion. I have loved this song from the moment I heard it all those years ago and wanted to share with you. Hopefully you'll find it as funny as I do, just be on the look out for those mean, nasty father rapers. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment