Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Fake




I'm back! I know, I know, I've been gone for a minute. And I left to you to linger with some folk song that while funny was like EIGHTEEN damn minutes long. My bad, but now that my manuscript is finished I am back to lay a classic on you (and by classic I mean something from the 80's). It's Fake by Alexander O'Neal, it's a burner for sure and while the lyrics weren't exactly paradigm shifting, the music certainly was.

Fake was O'Neal's biggest hit. It hit number one on the R&B charts (his only number one song in his career) and that along with a few other songs propelled his album Hearsay to number twenty nine on the charts. While Alex would never again know that kind of success there was a moment when he was the biggest thing in R&B.

I won't get into Alex' history, his fights with Prince, his addictions and demons that tore him from the top of the R&B world. There is no point to rehash any of that in my opinion. What I enjoy rehashing is this classic tune written and produced by Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis and blessed with Alexander's vocals. I will ALWAYS love this song!

No comments:

Post a Comment