Thursday, October 24, 2013

Green Garden

I absolutely love this song, it's infectious and fun. The song is entitled Green Garden and it's off the debut album by Laura Mvula. Her voice and sound hearkens back to the days when singers just "got it". The production on not just Green Gardens but on the rest of her album, Sing To The Moon is stellar and it highlights her voice over everything. There are times, like on Like The Morning Dew where she sounds eerily reminiscent to Nina Simone. On Can't Live With the World, she sounds like something fresh out of the sixties. She can't be categorized really because her album touches on all musical styles.

I love the minimal production on Green Garden. The hand claps, the backing vocals, and the xylophone are perfect to bring the song in. Then the song evolves, more backing vocals come in with the drums and the slight bassline. And when Laura starts singing I'll go/Wherever you go/Wherever you take/Me I'll go I smile because it's the perfect balance sonically to her vocals and the backing vocals.

This a happy song and I can't stop listening to it. It's a groovy, sun shiny track and hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as I do.




No comments:

Post a Comment