Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Hear My Train a Comin'

Today, on what would have been his 71st birthday, it's time to praise the man again and wish him a Happy Birthday. And with that comes one mean fucking song as he wails on his ax rocking out on the blues. Jimi Hendrix has always said that rock and roll came easy to him but the blues challenged him so he set out to write that which challenged him. Hear My Train a Comin' was the classic he wrote and it's nasty.

Off the 1973 album Sound Track Recordings from the Film Jimi Hendrix, this song is a searing no holds barred blues jam that the masters would have nodded their heads in approval to. It starts off with that sick riff and is slowly and subtlety joined in by the bass before the drums kick it into a rocking groove. Then Jimi's iconic voice comes fighting his guitar for attention and it all just....works.

I can't get enough of this song and on his birthday there is no better song of his to post. His catalog is massive and there are so many other songs of his that flat out rock, but Train is Jimi at a whole other level. I wish I could have seen him perform this live. Thank you Jimi for all you've given us and Happy Birthday maestro. May you continue to rest in peace.

1 comment:

  1. Grrrrrr...there is nothing like Hendrix! His tracks are like a lightening rod and with the first bars I am always immediately grounded me to a part of me that is wild, raw, and untamed. lol Definitely not fit for public consumption. Listening to him is a freeing, for a few minutes that uncivilized beast in me gets to dance in Jimi's dark wicked flame. Sheer heaven! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete