Tuesday, October 26, 2010

If I Should Fall Behind (Wait for me)

Now I don’t know if there are many Springsteen fans reading my blog and I can’t really call myself one. However, I can and will call myself a fan of this song. It’s called “If I Should Fall Behind (Wait for Me)” and it’s an absolutely beautiful song. Bruce has been the kind of artist that has always been enigmatic to me. He’ll have a huge hit with the most obnoxious songs that I could care less about only to turn around and record something this lovely and poignant. Lyrically he’s always been more on the simple side but he is one of the best if not the best storytellers in song still around. “Wait” has a country feel to it but that’s not really a bad thing. As Duke Ellington once said, “there are only two kinds of music…good music and bad music and darling I make good music”. No truer words have ever been spoken and this song, this is damn good music.

Relationships aren’t easy (I know, I’ve failed at all of mine), they take work, skill, and devotion. This song encompasses all of those attributes. When Bruce sings “Now everyone dreams of / love lasting and true / but you and I know what this world can do / so let’s make our steps clear / that the other may see / and I’ll wait for you and if I should fall behind / wait for me” I think says it all. This is the kind of song that details the right kind of relationship, not perfect and sometimes you don’t see eye to eye or walk side by side but its that love that makes you wait for each other.

It’s simply beautiful and that’s coming from the world’s smallest Springsteen fan.


No comments:

Post a Comment