Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Don't Explain


If you love Nina Simone like I love Nina Simone then maybe you've heard this song, Nina's rendition of the Billie Holiday classic "Don't Explain". Now I have a serious love for Billie but Nina's version of this song is virtually heartbreaking. I wouldn't say Billie's version is lighthearted and upbeat but Nina takes this song to another level. If you haven't heard Nina's version of this song then allow me to introduce it to you.

Nina's "Don't Explain" is slowed down and jazzed up and you can hear the pain in her voice as she coos this song of unconditional love. It's a song about a woman who accepts her man and his cheating ways. She's just happy he's home and doesn't want him to explain where he's been or what he's done and she even ignores the lipstick on him. With lines like "Don't wanna hear folks chatter/Cause I know you cheat/Right and wrong don't matter/When you're with me my sweet" and "Hush now don't explain/Don't you know you're my joy and you're my pain/My life is yours love/Don't explain" along with Nina's piano playing makes this song achingly beautiful.

Nina makes this song as much hers as possible and I think she did a great job. It's hard as hell for anyone to remake a Holliday song and not stand in her shadow but Nina stepped out of that shadow with her version. Enjoy!

1 comment: