Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Running Up That HIll


First and foremost let me say that I love this song, always have and always will. It's amazingly poignant and moving both melodically and lyrically which is what any real singer songwriter aims for and in "Running Up That Hill" Kate Bush hit the mark squarely and firmly on the head. I became a Kate Bush fan when I "discovered" her on "Don't Give Up" a duet with Peter Gabriel and I was taken by her voice. The next Kate Bush song I heard was this one and I was hooked.

"Running" has been redone by so many artists thanks to the melody and the lyrics and the latest remake has been done by the group Placebo who do a slight disservice to the original by subtly changing some of the lyrics, lyrics that really didn't need any changing in my opinion. First off there aren't that many lyrics to change in the first place and secondly why would you want to change them? "If I only could/Make a deal with God/And I'd get him to swap our places/Be runnin' up that hill/Be runnin up that road/Be runnin up that building" is lyrical perfection.

Placebo's remake is a nice song, slow and methodical, menacing in it's own way but good. It's just not as good as the original in my opinion but in this world what is ever as good as the original? Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment