Monday, May 21, 2012

Asleep

This movie sucked, there I said it. And I have a hard time taking anyone seriously who calls themselves liking Sucker Punch, yes it was THAT bad. It's ONE saving grace (and I mean it's ONLY one) was the music. Whoever was behind the music of this movie deserves huge kudos because they've recreated magic. The songs are not original compisitions, they are all remakes but they have been remade in such amazing ways, especially this song.

It's Asleep, originally done by The Smiths and redone by Emily Browning for Sucker Punch. When I first heard the original song it shook me. Such a beautiful and profoundly haunting song about suicide and the WANT to go. Emily's version, not nearly as haunting as the original but what the remake has is unabashed beauty. The original was just a piano melody behind Morrisey's vocals but in this verion there's full on orchestration. Where the original painted a bleak picture, this version makes it seem like the suns come out to play. While the sentiment of the lyrics is ruined, the music is simply lovely.

This song is hitting me particulary hard right now (going through some personal stuff) but I had to share it. I think people should hear it and hopefully, what I am dealing with gets to play in the sun for a little while longer. Please?

1 comment:

  1. A beautiful and heartbreaking song. May the sun shine bright and long. ~hugs~

    ReplyDelete