Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Mars Vs. Venus

I wouldn't necessarily call myself an Usher fan but I have been known to appreciate his music from time to time so when he dropped his latest CD, I raised an eyebrow. I liked his last opus "Here I Stand" because it yeilded some interesting and entertaining songs. I wondered if all of the personal turmoil would somehow impact his "Raymond Vs. Raymond" CD and make it a true piece of art. Sadly it was not to be and I was surprisingly disappointed by what I heard.

Insipid songs about threesomes "Lil Freak" feat. Niki Minaj (already done to death and back again) and they had the nerve to sample Stevie Wonder for such madness. There's the boring club banger featuring Ludacris (who I happen to like) entitled "She Don't Know" that I don't even think has any lyrics. It's nothing but a hook. And I have absolutely no idea what "O.M.G." featuting Will.I.Am is supposed to be about but it's the most annoying thing I have heard in a long time (they call that music?).


Just when I was about to be done with this CD I ran across "There Goes My Baby" and while it's not spectacular, it is a decent slow jam so I kept listening. I'm glad I did because if I hadn't I would have completely missed the jewel if the CD buried amongst the rubbish. "Mars Vs. Venus" is amazing.


It starts off with a female robotic voice instructing you to initiate radar and then the melody kicks in and it's not only pleasant but it's pretty. It's not a love song but a sex song but not done with an ounce of crass. Basically it's a competition between man (Mars)and woman (Venus) and who can make who reach that climax first. The melody and the arrangement thankfully keeps it light and interesting. Usher's singing also makes this song one worth listening to and the bridge will grab you. Towards the end of the song he repeats the line "I don't know if I'll win/but I know that I wanna do it again" and you'll want to listen to this song again, of that I am pretty certain.


Download and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment