Monday, April 16, 2012

A Song for Mama


I think it's time I post this classic on my blog. It's an oldie but goodie and I was trying to wait until Mothers Day but how hokie is that? I am anything but friggin hokie so I'm posting it now (I'll just find another song for Mothers Day). This is one of only two songs that I know will instantly bring a tear to my own mothers eye (and before you ask, no the other is not posted). The song is Boyz II Men's seminal masterpiece A Song for Mama.

There is not much to say in the way of how great this song is because your ears tell you that much. The tempo, lovely piano accompaniment, and the harmonies were staples of the foursome's sound as they matured as artists. Sometimes they did walk that fine line of schmaltz but thankfully they never really crossed it. What they did instead was deliver some amazing songs from time to time and this song is no exception. This is a truly timeless song and I dare anyone to say different.

Next time you talk to your mother, tell her you love her and if you see her, hug her tightly and kiss her all over her face. If she's anything like my mother she'll ask you what you want. Just look her in the eye and tell her you just wanted her to know how much you love her. And for those without their mothers, remember the good times and all she's done for you and know you make her proud everyday.


No comments:

Post a Comment