Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Your Hands Are Cold

Okay, it's time for another post that introduces to you, my lovely, daring, and open minded readers to some beautiful movie music. Now I was up late one night (big shock I know) and I was leafing through my movie channels and came upon this movie. It was almost over but there was a scene where the male lead strode through the early morning dew to speak with the femal lead and profess his love for her. The movie was Pride and Prejudice and the name of the piece is Your Hands Are Cold. Now while all I have ever heard of the story was how wonderful Mr. Darcy is (was, whatever) what I found truly wonderful during this moment in the movie was the music.

Composed by the Oscar award winning Dario Marianelli, when I heard this piece of music I knew I had to have it in my collection. So much so that I bought the soundtrack the very next day. It starts out so purposefully and then turns incredibly lush and soft. It's sweet sugar in musical form as two supposed rivals finally get together and reach an understanding. Then the piano comes in with the strings and the movements are amazing. The piano and the strings dance and play with one another in such a stirring way that it's hard not to at least like this piece of music.

Dario was up for an Oscar for this soundtrack but lost. He won two years later for Atonement (which was amazing in it's own right) but I think they gave him the Oscar then because they knew he deserved it for this movie. And especially for this piece right here. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment