Thursday, December 19, 2013

Barrel Of a Gun

This song came up on my playlist and I remembered how much I loved it and the album it was on. The song is Barrel Of a Gun and the album is the 1997 Depeche Mode offering entitled Ultra. Those who are fans of this group, band, what have you knows that lead singer David Gahan once upon a time had a serious addiction to heroin. So when I listen to the lyrics of this song, and others on Ultra I get the sense that his addiction is being played out for all to hear.

The title alone, Barrel Of a Gun screams of not having a choice, of having no control regarding ones actions, of being forced which for some is what addiction is all about. Sonically this is an amazing piece of work and one I recommend played over the big boy speakers. The bass rumbles in this song like an small but felt earthquake and it never stops. The guitars whine and wail as David floats along to the chorus and then the drums pound through. There is so much to discern in this song that i almost hear something new with every listen. Producer Tim Simenon must have relished working on this track.

Take a listen to Barrel Of a Gun, try not to get sucked into the trippy video and just listen to the music, and let me know what you think. Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment