Sunday, February 12, 2012

Count on Me


Like with most artists, everybody has their favorite song from that artist. That's just a natural thing I feel and when it comes to the enigmatic and iconic Whitney Houston my favorite song isn't the song most would readily assume it would be. Whitney leaves behind an amazing collection of staggeringly beautiful songs and other than the late great Marvin Gaye, no one did The Star Spangled Banner more justice.

My favorite Whitney Houston song is a duet with Cece Winans off of the Waiting to Exhale soundtrack entitled Count on Me. It's a beautiful song of friendship and faith and every time I hear it, it puts a smile on my face. It's classic Whitney and Cece's velvet voice is a really nice contrast to Whitney's bright soprano. Whitney also does a great job of reigning in her voice because she could have blown doors off hinges with this song.

While this song didn't get much airplay or much of the recognition I think it should have gotten, I still think it's an amazingly beautiful song and one of my favorites. This was Whitney at her best and this is how I will always remember her, singing beautifully about something as beautiful as unconditional friendship. You'll be missed Whitney.

No comments:

Post a Comment