Saturday, February 11, 2012

Meant


When I first heard this tune, I thought it was interesting. The vocal arrangement, the piano playing, the strings in the background all pulled me in at first and I thought Elizaveta was someone on the come up. She may still be and maybe it's just my opinion but the more I hear this song, I hear a knock off of Alicia Keys and a second rate Fiona Apple.

Off of her 2012 debut album Beatrix Runs, Meant starts off with a great piano intro, then right on the heels of that comes the beat and then her voice. Not a strong voice but it's an adequate one for her kind of songs, somewhat torchy. The strings come in right before the bridge and like I stated, they are a nice touch. I just feel that in the hands of one of the two ladies mentioned earlier, this song could have blown the tops of heads off.

The sample of the song I'm including is a live version so there are no strings, no percussion and the artist doing her best Gaga impersonation. Maybe I'm wrong about this song and the artist. Take a listen and let me know if you think I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment