Friday, February 24, 2012

Human Nature


When I first heard this song I couldn't get it out of my head. I am not the world's biggest Madonna fan though she has had some truly indelible songs (and for the record, her Dick Tracy inspired album was amazing), I can freely admit that. When this song dropped, Madonna was being vilified for her lazy Erotica album and her off the wall Sex book. This song was her punch back and it hit the critics like a Mike Tyson uppercut. They quickly quit attacking her person and listening to the lyrics, you can see why.

It's a heavy song, deep rumbling bassline, hip hop beats, and a sample of the iconic hip hop group Main Source thrown in for good nature. The track was the perfect bed for her lyrics. She starts of with her mantra Express yourself / Don't repress yourself and she's off and running. Her chorus of And I'm not sorry / It's human nature / And I'm not sorry / I'm not your bitch don't hang your shit on me sent this song into the stratosphere. Off of her 1994 release Bedtime Stories CD and produced by her and Dave Hall, Human Nature quickly became a favorite of mine. And the video just nailed it. Wrapped in latex, playing with rope, spreader bars, and riding crops, Madonna was TRULY pushing the envelope.

This song also bangs when played loud so break out your big boy speakers and enjoy this blast from the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment