Wednesday, January 8, 2014

I Wanna Get Next To You


It was recently brought to my attention that there are some people that have never heard this classic. Therefore I felt it was high time I included this masterpiece on my blog, so those that have never heard it before can treat their ears to a beautiful song and for those that know it well can get to know it all over again. The song is I Wanna Get Next To You from Rose Royce. It's off the 1976 soundtrack to the smash hit movie Car Wash.

The song starts off with the irresistible groove and you instantly know this song is just going to wash over you. The piano, guitar, and the percussion play off each other nicely after the riff. The falsetto of Kenny Copeland comes in and drops the heartbreaking lyrics about a man hoping to spend some time with a young lady who is apparently not interested. It was the perfect song for the unrequited love in the film between The Fly and the waitress.

This song will always be a classic. It's the unofficial song of the Car Wash movie but Rose Royce also dropped the original I'm Going Down that Mary J. Blige covered on that same soundtrack. Written and produced by Norman Whitfield, I feel he captured lightning in a bottle with this song because I can't help but smile whenever I hear it. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment