Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Cool

If you're anywhere near as old as I am then you know this song and its infectious groove. The song is Cool by the groovy (and hilarious) collection of men that make up The Time. Cool was the second single that was released off of their debut album The Time and while Cool didn't rate that high on the charts, it quickly became a staple for the band in concert and defined their attitude.

Right off the bat you get a sense of the groove with the drums and synth hooking up, then the additional percussion and a splash of guitar comes in. You immediately want to move something, it's that catchy but when Morris Day comes in with I got a penthouse in Manhattan / Two more in Monaco / I bought an 87 Cadillac Seville / Got a Maserati too / I wear diamonds on my fingers / I gotta couple on my toes / I wear the finest perfume money can by / Keeps me smelling like a rose...you know this song is all about making you smile and dance your ass off.

Originally written and preformed by Prince (written under his alias Jamie Starr), he thought it was the perfect foil for the group after he jettisoned Alexander O'Neal from the lineup. He thought this song fit his cousins vocals better than it did O'Neal's. Take a listen and see if you agree with him. Enjoy!



1 comment: