Thursday, November 25, 2010

The Angel

I haven’t and don’t usually post about movie music but when I heard “The Angel” by Alexander Desplat from the motion picture “lust, caution” I was hypnotized. It’s one of the most beautiful pieces of music I have ever heard and I have heard some beautiful pieces in my day. I did not see the movie this music was created for and instead saw it in a trailer for another movie and was blown away by it. I have other movie music by Alexander and I enjoy most of his work but “The Angel” is hauntingly beautiful and better than anything I have heard from him. That includes his beautiful scores to “The Painted Veil”, “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”, and the bombastic subtlety of the music to the Nicole Kidman vanity project “Birth”. The music is lush and piano driven but nothing of those scores comes close to this piece in my opinion.

I feared for movie music the day the maestro John Williams lays his baton down and walks away. After hearing this piece I am a little less fearful. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment