Sunday, November 28, 2010

Real

I will be the first to admit that I was never and probably never will be a Macy Gray fan. She is without a doubt an acquired taste and a taste I have yet to acquire. All that being said, this song by her is amazing. If you didn't see the film "Domino" then you never got the chance to hear it because it's only on that movie's soundtrack and that's a shame because it's damn good. Her voice, which at times reminded me of nails on a blackboard is pitch perfect on this tune and the backing music is the perfect bed for her vocals to lay in. And in my opinion the real beauty of this song is it's brevity, it runs for less than three minutes but those are quality minutes.

After some sweet guitar and keys bring in the song, Macy comes in with her voice which usually gets on my nerves. On this track though it's perfectly matched and when she sings "My cards are on the table / I need / real love, not some fabrication / real love, not just indication" over the beat this song becomes really hard to stop listening to. Couple that with the guitar playing that brings this song to a close and you begin to wish it was longer.

Macy was the perfect choice to sing this song. Her voice has some real longing in it and if you try to think of who could have sung this song instead of her, you'd be hardpressed to come up with someone better. Sure there are better singers out there in the world but for this particular tune she was the perfect choice. I'm sure you will agree with me :-) Enjoy.




1 comment:

  1. You're absolutely right. I skipped past your review and just listened to the song since you couldn't stop talking about it lol!! Now I see why you couldn't! I totally agree with you and was going to speak on the fact that the reason why this song is so hot is because her voice mixes perfectly w/the music. She also seems more laid back in this song. Great song choice.

    ReplyDelete