Friday, November 5, 2010

When You Were Young

One of the most underrated bands since their inception in my opinion is The Killers. They hit the scene hard with their first hit “Mr. Brightside” but since then they’ve really not had the follow up success you would have expected but that doesn’t mean they haven’t released any good music and this song showcases that brilliantly. “When You Were Young” is an energetic romp from beginning to end and the music is fun and melodic.

Off of their second album Sam’s Town, “WYWY” is my favorite song and I think it’s due to the lyrics first and the music second (a really close second mind you). Much like Coldplay I was a fan of this band from the beginning but unlike Coldplay some of The Killers stuff has disappointed me over the years but I’ll always love this song.

It takes off from the start with crunching guitars and a relentless beat that grabs you off the bat and then and as it settles in you hear some interesting lyrics that lead into the chorus that I love. “He doesn’t look a thing like Jesus/But he talks like a gentleman/Like you remembered when you/Were young”. Musically at that point the song is layered with keys, guitars, and vocals and it gets better. Musically it’s a feel good song while lyrically it’s more melancholy as it talks about some woman waiting on some man that would make her feel like she felt when she was younger.

I think the video rocks out as well and fits the song perfectlyon a visual level. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment