Saturday, November 13, 2010

Rubber Ring

I love this song and everything it stands for. It’s by the great English 80’s band The Smiths and it’s called “Rubber Ring”. The marriage of Morrisey’s off color lyrics and Johnny Marrs amazing guitar playing gave this band it’s own little niche in recorded music history and gave it it’s own fervent cult following. Andy Rourke on bass and the amazing Mike Joyce on the drums rounded out this incredibly talented foursome. The collection of songs this band has under it’s belt is massive and all quality but my favorite song is “Rubber Ring”. The kids that followed this particular band were kids that felt like they were the misfits and the outcasts and really had nothing to live for. Those were the kids The Smiths were Gods to and Rubber Ring spoke directly to those very kids.

Morrisey’s silky smooth voice effortlessly croons out lyrics like “the most impassionate songs / to a lonely soul / is so easily outgrown / but don’t forget the songs / that made you smile / and the songs that made you cry / when you lay in awe on your bedroom floor / and say “go on smother me mother”. Couple that with “the passing of time / leaves empty lives / waiting to be filled / I’m here with a cause / I’m holding the torch / in the corner of your room / can you hear me? / and when you’re dancing and laughing / and finally living / hear my voice in your head / and think of me kindly”. Basically telling those kids who have had their hearts broken or who are just depressed and thinking what’s it all for, if a song by The Smiths have helped you out from under that dark cloud, don’t forget what they did for you.

Add that sentiment to some outstanding music and you have an amazing song. Let me know if you agree with me. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment