Thursday, November 4, 2010

Yellow

It’s very rare to be there in the beginning of a persons or a bands career and enjoy their music and then be able to follow that band straight through to superstardom and like everything they’ve ever done. There are a few occasions where that happens for me anyway and I’ve always found that once a artist or a band gets to that superstar level their music falls off some. I won’t give any examples of that fact, I’m sure there’s an artist or two or a band or two that you can think of that falls into that category but to me this isn’t one of those bands. I fell in love with “Yellow” by Coldplay the second I heard it. And as I listen to this song today I doubt that Chris Martin, that scrawny kid running on the beach in the video knew he would one day be married to Gweneth Paltrow and would have worked with both Jay-Z and Kanye West in his career.

I have everything by Coldplay and when I heard this song I knew it would be a hit so I feel like I’ve been there from the beginning and they haven’t let me down artistically in any way. I chose to post about their first hit because it’s rarely heard and I think mostly forgotten about because the band has surpassed this song in everyway lyrically and musically. I love it though due to its simplicity and honesty. A straight up unapologetic love song that starts off with just an acoustic guitar and then the band comes in walking that fine line of grunge. Chris then comes in explaining how this persons love makes everything in his world yellow. “Look at the stars/Look how they shine for you/and everything you do/And they were all yellow…I came along/I wrote a song for you/And all the things you do/And it was called yellow” which leads into the cool chorus “Your skin oh yeah your skin and bones/turned into something beautiful/you know you know I love you so/you know I love you so”. Some people I know consider this a stalking song because the lyrics seem to get more desperate and dark like how the chorus resorts to Chris willing to bleed himself dry and while I can see where they’re coming from, to me it doesn’t distract from the earnestness of this song and it’s beauty.

I think the video worked perfectly for the song except for not showing the band. I still love this song and it’s definitely made “the playlist”, is it on yours?



1 comment: