Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Brick

I took a little break to deal with some real life matters, but I'm back and the first song I want to hit you with is a classic. I don't know if you remember the roller skating craze that gripped this country back in the mid eighties but this song was huge at the rinks I frequented. The song is Brick by the Dazz Band and at some point, this song when played made you drop whatever it was you were doing and run to the dance floor or get back on the rink.

It's really just a funky jam session that starts off with that crisp beat and keyboard part. Then the bass line joins in along with the really insignificant lyrics and the song is off and running. The beat is the driving force behind this song as other instruments are added and subtracted along the way. It's almost impossible for me to sit still when I hear this song and it always transports me back to a time when life was all about fun.

The Dazz Band had bigger hits than Brick (Let It Whip instantly comes to mind) but Brick is funky, it's fun, and it's such a groove driven tune (and I love a good groove driven tune) that I had to add it to my blog. Just the bass line alone makes it worthy of inclusion. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do and I hope it transports you back to a time when life was fun for you as well.  


No comments:

Post a Comment