Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Just My Imagination

I have been suspect in my blogging of the classics lately, the Mowtown classics that is. Tonight I heard this song and the hooks sand in me deep. This song along with many of the other classics that made Mowtown Hitsville USA were often played throughout my house when I was a youngster. It's The Temptations and their smash Just My Imagination. A truly smoove classic indeed.

Off of their 1971 album Sky's The Limit, Imagination was the groups third song to reach number one on the charts, and there it stayed for two weeks straight. Considered their signature song, what grabs me is Eddie Kendricks' falsetto. That voice and the harmonies underneath are enough to give me chills every time I hear this song.

When the single came out, the group was on it's way to breaking up. Eddie Kendricks was on the verge of starting a solo career as he wasn't happy with the direction and leadership of the group by de facto leader Otis Williams. While things became discord within the group and Sky's The Limit was the last time Eddie ever sang with The Temptations, the facts remain that at one point in time, no one did it better than these five men. Enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. You put it so well..."at one point in time, no one did it better than these five men." Legends. Loved, loved, LOVED listening to this classic. Thank you for dropping this in front of us. :-)

    ReplyDelete