Sunday, July 28, 2013

The Last of Us

It seems the world of video game soundtracks has become an ultra competitive field. From where I sit, I can see Steve Jablonsky or Hans Zimmer do the soundtrack to a video game, their sound and talents lends itself to that medium in almost uncanny ways. The one name I never expected to see associated with a video game score though was acclaimed guitarist and composer Gustavo Santaolalla.

Gustavo is an amazing composer who has been involved with the scores to movies like Motorcycle Diaries, Babel, Brokeback Mountain, 21 Grams, and his haunting and mesmerizing work on Things We lost In the Fire always gives me chills.. His music is both emotional and beautiful, full of yearning and promise, so when I saw that he was the man behind the music to the apocalyptic video game The Last of Us, I had to hear it.

This piece is the main theme of the game and in usual Santaolalla style, it is absolutely breathtaking. So much so that I felt the need to share it with those of you who may never come across this amazing offering. It's best to hear this on your big boy speakers as well, so you can get the full darkness of the music towards the end. This piece hasn't made me a bigger fan of his, it's just made me more appreciative of his talents. Well done Gustavo, well done.

1 comment: