Monday, July 22, 2013

Wanna Fight

Wanna Fight is a powerful piece of music to a very integral moment in the movie Only God Forgives. It's by film composer Cliff Martinez and with every score, I am becoming a bigger and bigger fan of his. He's been film composing since 1989 and his scores vary so drastically in style and tone from one to the next that for me, when I looked back on his body of work I was shocked that he did certain movies.

Only God Forgives is heavy on synthesizers and Wanna Fight is the crown jewel in the score. When it started playing in the movie, it didn't just make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, it made me sit up. It sounds like something out of Tron by Daft Punk at first, but then the cathedral pipe organ chimes in. I wasn't expecting that at all and every time I hear it, I still love it.

The song mellows out somewhat after that, but it remains just as dark and foreboding. Then when the organ returns, it ramps up the intensity and the ONLY way to hear this song is, you guessed it, on your big boys speakers. I love Wanna Fight, and I think a smart boxer would use it as his music to walk to the ring to, he'd have his opponent beat before the first punch is thrown. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. I tried. I swear I did! lol I listened three times on three different sets of speakers/headphones. (Yes, I know I so failed to follow directions. ;-) I was impatient for cake!!! hehe) But, the pipe organ threw me off every time. I felt like I was in two different places at once and never could find my rhythm. I'd almost get there once the organ fell away but then it would come back and I'd lose what little balance I'd found. However, it could just be that I'm clumsy and moving too fast this evening... ~shrug~ It was interesting to listen to though. Thank you, M!

    BTW...hello...is this thing on? Is anyone else out there? Hello? M...do you always render the masses mute??? lol ;-P

    ReplyDelete