Sunday, July 27, 2014

Broken Man

Anthony Hamilton is one of my favorite singers and I love pretty much everything he's dropped. His fifth studio Back To Love was no exception. It was released back in 2011 and immediately snatched up the Grammy for best R&B album. It's a solid album through and through, and if you didn't buy the deluxe version of Back then you missed out on this gem of a song entitled Broken Man. 

It starts off with a really subtle into, organ, piano, finger snaps, and kick drum. The song itself though is hard hitting and biting. Singing lyrics like Now she told me he was just a friend / But friends don't send pictures like that / I aint even start an argument / Grabbed my Louis bags an packed...clues you into why the song is called Broken Man. I dig this cut but what I really love is the vocal layering on the chorus. It sounds fantastic and the breathy vocals are a nice contrast to Anthony's voice.

The music never really changes but that's just fine by me. The melody is sweet and the tempo is one that almost doesn't match what he's singing about. It sounds like it should belong to a song pledging unconditional love, not a break up song. If you like this cut then you might also enjoy his song Pray For Me written and produced by Babyface. Enjoy and you're welcome!






1 comment: