Monday, July 14, 2014

You & I (Nobody in The World)

I have said it before and I will say it again, I am not the biggest John Legend fan. I think the main reason behind that is due to the fact that there not only sounds like there's no evolution in his music but that his music seems to actually be regressing. His songs are so chorus (hook) heavy and verse light that they come across as if they were written specifically for movies or TV commercials. However, every now and then he drops a song that makes me pause.

You & I (Nobody In The World) is a damn good song with an even better message and a far better video. The song starts off gently with that guitar sound reminiscent of Explosions In The Sky and he croons over it singing, You fix your makeup just so /Guess you don't know that you're beautiful / Try on every dress that you own / you were fine in my eye a half hour ago. Those lines immediately let you know this is a song that touches on some serious insecurities women deal with, but John delivers the message that out of all the girls in the world, the only one he sees is you. That while you might not think you're pretty or beautiful, or gorgeous...he does.

You & I (Nobody In The World) is off his 2013 release Love in the Future and it may be the best song off that album outside of All Of Me. Check out the powerful video and see if you agree with me.





1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post to bring us back to M. Yes, this beautiful message is outstanding. While I know this message was aimed at women, I believe the desire to be wanted and valued is simply a human one. Even if we accept our flaw-filled bodies and love ourselves, when our Man looks at us and tells us we're beautiful and shows us we're wanted above all others...it's one of the most precious feelings in the world. "Ain't nobody in the world but You and I." Precious indeed.

    ReplyDelete