Thursday, September 9, 2010

Let Me Love You Down

My ongoing love for the voice continues, I hope you don't mind. I have been a fan of Me’Shell NdegeOcello's since her first CD “Plantation Lullabies” and I was enraptured with her classic “Bitter” CD (definitely check that out if you don’t already have it). While I can’t say that I dug everything she’s ever done, she has pleased me more times than she has disappointed me. A gifted musician, singer, songwriter she’s has at times stretched the music envelop and has gone places that I just couldn’t follow but she’s always come back to me with tracks that I couldn’t take off of repeat, like this one.

Originally recorded and released by the 80’s gheri curl group Ready For The World, “Let Me Love You Down” was provocative back then but in the hands of Me’Shell it takes that provocative ness up a few notches to say the least. Off of her lastest CD “Devil’s Halo” “Let Me Love You Down” is the perfect song for Me’Shell to redo. Her voice is a deep baritone and she makes it work for her every chance she gets and it works perfectly on this track. The way this song is arranged, another voice would have sounded ridiculous but her voice is pitch perfect and the lyrics while unchanged sound brand new with her singing them. “Never really mattered too much to me / that you were a little too young for me / all that really mattered was you were my girlfriend / and baby that’s all that mattered to me”.


The second verse gets even better. I don’t usually use this word when describing songs but this song is sultry and it gets even hotter towards the end as the music builds and transforms this tune from a song into something akin to a soundtrack for lovers to do whatever lovers do to make their partners happy. This is pure seduction at it’s finest. Take a listen and let’s see if you agree with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment