Thursday, September 23, 2010

Paris Groove

I have been a fan of this group ever since I walked in a record store (yeah I know keep bringing up this thing called a record store but I swear they really did exist) at least twenty years ago and I heard them playing over the sound system. I bought the album right on the spot. I didn’t need to hear anymore of the album because the song I heard was enough to sell me right there on the spot. Ever since then I’ve been following The Rippingtons w/Russ Freeman with crazed enthusiasm. If they were a woman I’m sure there would have been a restraining order out against me. That’s how big of a fan I am of their brand of music. Now those that know me know I am a jazz lover and a purist. Trane, Monk, Bird, Dizzy and the rest of the masters are the ones I love the most but there’s just something about The Rippingtons and their sound that I can’t deny loving, it almost represents a certain lifestyle or way of living, especially this song.

“Paris Groove” is catchy, easy, breezy and the perfect antidote for whatever is ailing you. I’ve offered up songs I thought were day starters, well this song and almost anything else The Rippingtons do are after work songs. Throw this tune on and you’ll get caught up in it and I’m confident your shoulders will relax and whatever was stressing you about your day will fade away and you may not even need to imbibe in the spirits. “Paris” starts off with that classic guitar sound, very mellow, very relaxing, the kind of music you can bop around the house to. It’s great background music or driving music (not that I drive but you know what I mean). Then comes the accordion (or the accordion sound) that cooks and plays well with the guitar work.

There are so many other Rippington songs I can recommend but I’ll let you dig into their vast collection for yourself. That’s only if you like their sound and if you don’t I’d ask you the cake question. Not liking this sound is like not liking cake and how could ANYONE not like cake?


No comments:

Post a Comment