Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Sunrise

Okay, right up front I am going to admit something I have only admitted to very few people (Yes I am about to lay something on the table here, brace yourself). I am a HUGE Hall & Oats fan, there I said it and there is no shame in my game. I don’t know what it is or was about their music but I loved it. Bopping my head, tapping my feet, singing along with the song walking down the street, yep that was me. I was that guy and still am for the most part. I don’t have a particularly favorite song of theirs but “I Can’t Go For That” always made me smile when I heard it and I would crank my radio, stereo, or walkman (remember those?) all the way up when it came on. I was a fan because those two rocked and I defy anyone to prove otherwise. So imagine my initial horror when I heard “Sunrise” by Simply Red. At first I was like “dude, WTF?” but the more it played the more I calmed down and my initial disgust became a real appreciation.

I love Simply Red and Mick Hucknall’s voice especially. Songs like “Money’s Too Tight to Mention” and one of my all time favorites “Holding Back the Years” made me a fan and I’m sure pulled you in as well. So I took a keen interest in their music and enjoyed most of what they released. I missed a few albums and a few songs over the years because I became a busy man. Seriously, I was busy but when things calmed down for me I took a walk back through their catalogue and I found this song.

“Sunrise” is a very cool song, easy and breezy which was a staple of Simply’s sound but what grabbed me was the backing music of Hall & Oats classic “I Can’t Go for That”. When the song first hit I felt that hint of familiarity like I’ve heard this song before while never hearing this song before. Then it hit me like a truck barreling down I-95, this was a blatant rip off of my boys. DUDE, WTF? ‘That’s so not cool’ I thought but the damn thing grew on me (no not like a fungus, where is your MIND?) and the more I listened to it the more I loved it. It’s a great morning song as you prepare yourself to get past the burning sands of the day to make it to the oasis that is quitting time and I defy you to NOT bop your head or tap your feet.



No comments:

Post a Comment