Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Break My Soul

Welcome to the Europop portion of the show. I came across this group purely by accident. I was looking for something and this group popped up and I fell in love with what I heard. Anyone who knows me knows I love my music drenched in the low end. In other words, the more bass the better. Those that know me also know that I have a thing for dark grooves, great melody, and strings (my mom used to play the violin, don’t blame me). The music offered up by the group Hybrid pleases me on every last one of those fronts, hence the name “Hybrid” I guess. Their song entitled “Break My Soul” encompasses all of that. The melodies are beautiful, the strings are prominent, and this song isn’t meant to be heard through your little headphone buds but on real speakers because only real speakers can capture the low end properly. Add to that the fact that it's an anthem for women and you have a great song.

I fell in love with their album “I Choose Noise” and couldn’t wait for their next release which dropped earlier this year called “Disappear Here”. Now just because you hear vocals doesn’t mean that all of their previous music has this sound. The group comprised of Mike Truman and Chris Healings didn’t start really trying to write structured songs until Charlotte James rounded out the group. “Noise” and “Disappear” couldn’t sound more different and in some ways that’s a good thing and a bad one but I won’t criticize. If you choose to look into the group you can make that determination for yourself. All I know is that I love this song and one of the most beautiful things about this song is those are actual strings you’re hearing courtesy of The City of Prague Orchestra and not some synthesizer. It adds a more dramatic touch to the song in my opinion.

Just when you don’t think this song can get any better the break comes in with an acoustic guitar, strings, and Charlotte that’s just really pretty. It’s a nice reprieve from the darkness of the song, like a refreshing drink of water before the action resumes, and it does resume with a vengeance. There have been just a few songs where I wish I could have been in the studio at the time of their recording. Marvin Gaye’s “Mercy, Mercy Me”, Stevie Wonders “Love’s in Need of Love Today”, Prince’s “Purple Rain”, Bob Marley’s “No Woman No Cry” and “Redemption Song” and this song. Strange I know but what can I tell you? Those that know me know what I mean.




1 comment: