Thursday, January 10, 2013

Cross My Mind

This is the second time Jill Scott makes an appearance on my blog. The first time I blogged a song of hers, I did so because that song mirrored where I was in my life at the time. This song, Cross My Mind is actually my favorite song of hers. I like reminescent songs, songs about someone wondering what that one who got away was doing, what they were thinking, if they ever think about you. This song fits that bill perfectly.

Cross My Mind is off her second studio album, Beautifully Human: Words and Sounds Vol.2 and it earned Jill her first Grammy. It's a laid back, jazzy piece, nice and easy in it's groove and Jill and that marvelous voice of hers glides right along with it. It opens with her saying "I was just thinking about you" and then the piano comes in, it's all conversational except the chorus.

Jill remembers fondly how an ex lover smelled, walked, kissed, and made love to her. She's tempted to write him a letter, or page him but she knows it's wrong. She knows her feelings are wrong because like she says at the end, "the reality, honestly...is you were never good for me, and I was never good for you..." Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment