Saturday, January 26, 2013

Sweet Freedom

I originally had a different song planned for this post, but I scrapped it. I scrapped it to bring you a serious, velvety smooth blast from the past. I know you remember Michael McDonald right? If not, do you remember the Doobie Brothers, or the comedy film Runnin' Scared with Gregory Hinds and Billy Crystal? The theme song to that hilarious movie was Sweet Freedom and I love this song as much as I love that movie.

Sweet Freedom, along with the movie came out in 1986 but by then Michael had already gone solo, leaving the Doobie Brothers behind. he had already won a Grammy for his duet with James Ingram on their hit Yah Mo B There. So he was the perfect person to write and sing the theme to Runnin' Scared since he was pretty much a household name by that time.

What's there to say about this song except they don't make them like this anymore. They definitely don't make them like Michael either. His voice is unmistakable, even to this day and it's hard not to love it, like it's hard not to love this song. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment