Monday, January 14, 2013

Mercy Street

Once upon time, back in the late 80's to the mid 90's, one of the biggest stars on the planet was Peter Gabriel. You know he was, don't try to act like he wasn't. He had already made a name for himself by being the one time front man for a little group known as Genesis, yes THAT Genesis. He also had some hits with songs like Biko, Games Without Frontiers, and Shock The Monkey. But when Peter dropped his fifth studio album, So in 1986, he became a household name.

So was to Peter what Thriller was to Michael. There wasn't one song on So that was lacking, and one of the lesser known songs, and one of my favorites off that album was Mercy Street. Mercy Street is a brilliant, somber song, much like his song Don't Give Up which was also on So. Those songs lived in the shadows of the other massive hits on that album, but if you listen carefully to Mercy Street, Peter's vocal layering genius is clearly obvious, and so beautiful.

I can listen to this song all day and come across something new, something I didn't hear all the times it's played before. I could have picked his more popular songs but it's Mercy Street that for some reason, resonated with me, and made me a Peter Gabriel fan. Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved So! There are so many songs on this album that are in my top favorites ever, including Mercy Street. This song...so damn haunting. Just the first few notes...everything always stops for me except listening to this. Many, many miles were spent driving through the night with this song rolling from the stereo. As always...thank you for the post. :-)

    ReplyDelete