Monday, January 28, 2013

Skin Tight

I have to tell you something, that's right it's share time so grab a seat. Whenever I get stressed out about something, or I need to calm down and let things ride or slide, I hum this songs bass line. Why, because it's so funky and funny at the same time (especially when you hum it). This song is the classic Skin Tight by the Ohio Players and since I just learned that the lead singer of the band, the incredible Leroy "Sugarfoot" Bonner has just passed away, I thought it only fitting to add this song to my blog.

Now right off the bat, that bass line is the first thing you hear so you immediately know something funky is about to go down. Add in the drums, the brass, and the wah wah guitar and the song begins to simmer before Sugarfoot utters a word. When he eventually does come in, the man makes you smile with You a bad bad Mrs. / In your skin tight britches / Running folks in ditches / Baby about to bust the stitches, yeah. After that the song is off and running.

I grew up with the Ohio Players, they were always jamming in my house (along with Lou Rawls) so I grew up a big fan of this band. I am saddened by the passing of Sugarfoot, but I am grateful to him and the rest of the band for leaving us with such classics like this funky jam. Thank you Sugarfoot, may you rest in funky peace. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment