Friday, January 28, 2011

Cult of Personality

If there is one band I loved more than any other, one band I wish never disbanded, the one band I will never forget, it's this one. Why? Because this band was untouchable and unstoppable at it's height. With the singing of Corey Glover, the skins of Will Calhoun, the bottom of Muzz Skillings, topped off with the absolute incendiary guitar playing of Vernon Reid, Living Colour blew roofs off venues, doors off hinges, and other bands right out of the water. And the one song that get's me amped no matter where or when I hear it is their classic "Cult of Personality". Not only does it bring me back to a time in my life when life was truly good and music was music and not something made to make money but this song is also absolutely timeless. It sounds like it was put together yesterday and released today.

This rocker starts off with the voice of Malcolm X, letting you know something is about to smack you upside the head. Then Vernon's crunching guitar hits your ears along with Will's drums and Muzz' bass and the groove is created, the perfect bed for Corey's soulful vocals. He comes in with "Look in my eyes / What do you see? / The cult of personality / I know your anger / I know your dreams / I've been everything you want to be / Ohhh I'm the cult of personality". If you close your eyes you can see Corey grabbing the mic and letting it all hang out, dreads flying in the air as he whips his head around. After the second chorus comes one of the best guitar solos I have ever heard. Vernon lays it down and then shreds it all to hell. If you've never air guitared in your life this song will tempt you to do it and truth be told this song almost made me want to learn how to play the guitar. Corey comes back in and brings the song home and JFK 's voice brings the track to a close.

This is one of my all time favorite songs by one of my all time favorite bands and they will always be. Living Colour eventually got back together and are still making music but they'll never recapture that magic and hunger of the first album "Vivid" and of this song. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment