Monday, January 24, 2011

Leaving Hope

The first time I heard this song I thought it was brilliantly dark (which fits my mood perfectly right now). It evoked emotions of loneliness, despair, and hope within me all at the same time. The first time I heard this song I wondered who the composer was and if it was put together by some amazingly talented kid in his basement. The first time I heard this song was at a wedding and it was the first song the newly married couple chose to dance to as husband and wife. They were anarchists and before you wonder what in the world I was doing at an anarchists wedding let me just tell you, they were great kids with loving families. The song is "Leaving Hope" by Nine Inch Nails and when I heard who it was by it all made sense.

Trent Reznor, the mad genius behind NIN is a classically trained musician and one dark and disturbed man. When you put those two things in a bowl you come up with music like "Leaving Hope". It is without question a beautiful piece of music but it is also extremely dark and cold. There is no warmth to this song and maybe that's why I fell in love with it. if there's any warmth at all it's provided by the bassline in the beginning. The song starts off with a lonely piano and then the bass line comes rumbling in completely dominating the low end (yes you might want to break out the big boy speakers to fully appreciate it). It's a slow melodious tune, beautiful in nature and lonely in spirit.

It won't appeal to everyone, hell it may not appeal to anyone (outside of the previously mentioned married couple and fellow NIN fans) but there may be a day when you just aren't in a good mood. There may be a day when this dark cloud refuses to leave from over your head, when things just arent't going your way. Thanks to Trent you have the soundtrack for just that kind of mood, just that kind of day.


No comments:

Post a Comment