Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Somebody Already Broke My Heart

I really haven't been in the mood to blog recently or to even listen to music for that matter, which is really rare for me. Yet I put on the headphones, fired up the old itouch and went to my never fail playlist and the first tune to hit my waiting ears was "Somebody Already Broke My Heart" by the one and only Sade. I immediately remembered the first time I ever heard this song and thought Sade had captured lightning in a bottle. I thought the song was brilliant and of course I couldn't stop listening to it.

The song, off of her 2000 melancholy "lovers rock" CD is absolutely timeless and was in my opinion the best song off that CD. While it got no airplay here in the states and was vastly overlooked, the sentiment is bittersweet and the musicianship is of course top notch. The song starts off with what you've come to expect from a Sade song, great music. Key's, acoustic and electric guitar, and a hard and steady beat leads you into Sade singing "You came along/When I needed a savior/Someone to pull me through somehow/I've been torn apart so many times/I've been hurt so many times before/So I'm counting on you now". If you've ever drawn breath in your lungs you've been exactly where she's singing about and when she sings the chorus, it just brings the song home.

It's a song of fear and desperation and putting your hopes in the next one to not do to you what the last one did. And when Sade sing's "If someone has to lose/I don't want to play" it's clearly a cry for no more game playing and it makes this song like I said earlier...brilliant.


No comments:

Post a Comment